Introduction to the community
The Community of the Sacred Name was founded in Christchurch in 1893 by Sister Edith (Deaconess). She was released from the Community of St Andrew in London to establish an indigenous community to respond to the needs of the colonial Church. A wide variety of teaching, childcare and parish work has been undertaken over the years. From 1966 to 2016, the Sisters ran a large children’s home in Fiji. CSN Sisters still look after the retreat house there. Mother Alena and Sister Keleni are in Christchurch, looking after the Retreat House. Some Sisters are based in Ashburton, where we do ecclesiastical embroidery. Underpinning all the work is a life of worship.
Address of main house:
300 Tuam Street, Christchurch 8011, New Zealand
Tel: 3 366 8245
53 Morris Road, RD2, Ashburton 7772, New Zealand
Tel: 3 307 1121
PO Box 8869, Nakasi Suva, Fiji
PO Box 1824, Nuku’alofa, Tonga
Rt Revd Victoria Matthews
Rt Revd Winston Halapua
Ruth Fry, The Community of the Sacred Name – a Centennial History, 1993
Copies available from Revd Mother.
Third Order, Fellowship, Associates
The Community has Oblates, men and women called by God to live the contemplative life in the world.
We also have Companions, Associates, Friends of St Christopher’s. For women or men, priests or lay people.
Revd Mother Superior: Mother Alena CSN
Assumed office 9 November 2016
Assistant Superior: Sister Keleni CSN