Introduction to the community
The Society of St Paul began in 1958 in Gresham, Oregon. Early ministry included nursing homes, a school, and commissary work in the Mid-East and Africa. In 1959, SSP was the first community for men to be recognized by the canons of the Episcopal Church in the United States. The brothers live a life of prayer and are dedicated to works of mercy, charity and evangelism.
In 1976, the order moved its mother house and the novitiate of the monastery to Palm Desert, California, providing facilities for a retreat and conference center until 1996.
In 2001, the brothers moved to St Paul’s Cathedral in San Diego. In particular, we are involved at St Paul’s Senior Homes and Services, the Uptown Faith Community Services, Inc., Dorcas House, a foster home for children whose parents are in prison in Tijuana, Mexico, and St Paul’s Cathedral ministries.
Address: 2567 Second Avenue, Unit 504, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Bishop Visitor: Rt Revd Susan Brown Snook, Bishop of San Diego
Third Order, Fellowship, Associates
The Fellowship of St Paul, our extended family, is an association of Friends, Associates and Companions of The Society of St Paul, who live a Rule of Life centered on the Glory of God. Fellowship members support the Society and one another with their love, prayers and commitment. Fellowship members reflect the spirit of The Society of St Paul wherever they may be.
Rector: The Revd Canon Barnabas Hunt SSP
Assumed office 1989
Associate Rector: The Revd Canon Andrew Rank SSP